Thursday, October 25, 2012

1st day of pre-k

Just as every parent in the history of ever says, your kids will grow up fast. But what they don't tell you is it's a weird kind of fast. It honestly feels like Gracen should be 15 by now, but at the same time I have no idea how she's almost 5. I couldn't wait to get past the sleepless nights and diapers, and rocking to sleep, and now I miss it. My sweet baby is growing up and I'm not sure how ready I am for it.

Almost 2 months ago (yeesh I'm still pretty far behind) she had her first day of pre-k. And due to circumstances beyond my control (I still don't want to talk about it) I had to miss dropping her off for her first day. Luckily since it's our second year at St. Ann's I know a lot of the parents and kids already so that made up for a little bit of it.
At St. Ann's they split the classes by age, so last year she was the oldest in her class, with an April birthday. This year because different kids were signed up, she got bumped up to the older class with all new kids. Luckily she's a little social butterfly and it didn't seem to phase her. She still asks about some of the kids from last year, but she still gets to see them at recess and gets to play soccer with some of them.
This past weekend was the open house for kindergarten, and I get choked up just thinking about it. I know she's got to grow up sometime, but really? We're already thinking about kindergarten? Part of the reason that I love being back in KC, is becuase despite what anyone tells you, it really is a small town atmosphere. The prinicpal of St. Ann's used to teach at my high school, and I was friends with her son. The half day kindergarten teacher used to teach at my gradeschool. I was friends with the 1st grade teachers kids and have known her since before I was in kindergarten. It all makes me really nostalgic, and I get teary eyed just typing this.
After her big day I took her down to the park to take a few other pics for her first day of school. She was really excited at first, and then of course changed her mind once we got there. Ahh 4 years olds.
Before I know it, it's going to be time to her senior pictures and I'm going to cry like a baby. I have a feeling I'm totally going to be one of those embarrassing moms, and I'm ok with that. Hopefully Gracen embraces it. I love to get involved with her activities and know everything about whats going on. Everyday when I get home from work I asked her what she did at school and she always replies "I don't remember". Then slowly as the night progresses she starts to reveal little tidbits. I love to see her light up about school and learning and her friends. I hope she carries that passion for life wherever she goes or ends up doing and passes it on to her own kids some day. It's one of the things I love most about her and watching her grow up, even if that means sending her to kindergarten someday.




No comments: