Monday, October 13, 2014

Hadley Jean turns 5!

At our house, a birthday is something we don't take lightly. We love to celebrate. Multiple times, all month long if necessary. I'm so thankful that all of our kids birthdays are spread out, because then the spotlight is really on them. And maybe it's because I'm bitter that my birthday was in the summer, and my half birthday was over Christmas break so I never got to celebrate it at school. (Sorry P - same goes for you my love!) but I just love birthdays. That doesn't even mean we go overboard (occasionally we do), but in a house full of girls, I love to make them feel special.

And on September 28, my darling Hadley Jean turned 5 years old. I don't even know how it happened, because time certainly did not have my permission to pass so quickly. I can still remember the day she was born. She was the only one who arrived when planned! I want to laugh and cry at the same time when I think about her going off to kindergarten next year. Sigh. Such is the life of a Mother.

We certainly spoiled our sweet girl this year. We kicked off the celebrations the same day as Parker's baptism with family. I made the most delicious and wickedly simple buttermilk raspberry cake with homemade whipped cream and fresh raspberries.


You loved every single gift you received, and your favorite? Once again, easter eggs filled with candy. Uncle Adam certainly know the way to your heart.



Aunt Jaime got you new ballerina pajamas, and told you they were for your annual Halloween slumber party. You took that very seriously and refuse to wear them until you've had your slumber party. If only you could follow other directions that well :)

On your actual birthday we carried on the birthday donut tradition. We headed to Dunkin Donuts, and they gave you a pink donut for free. You would've thought they gave you the moon! I hope you always keep that child-like excitement, because it really is the little things that make life so wonderful.



For quite a while you've been telling us you want to be a dentist when you grow up - always the practical one ;) So naturally I bought you scrubs for your birthday. And let me just tell you, that unfortunately one trait you inherited from your dear Mother is that you're very particular about the most random things. And for whatever reason, you under no circumstances wanted to try on the scrubs. However, I finally got you to try them on after re-assuring you one million times that you could still be Anna for Halloween. And it's quite possibly the cutest thing I've ever seen. 5 year olds in scrubs? Adorable. Scrubs with your name on them? I die.






If it's not moving, monogram it. That's my motto :) This probably stems from having the most popular girls name as a child, so I wanted my name and/or initials on everything. I promise you'll appreciate it someday. (Oh and just ask Aunt Nanie about her birth certificate!)

The celebrations continued at school with the repeat request of pink cupcakes with sprinkles. Done and done. And finally it was time for your birthday party with friends! I'm convinced that the anticipation of the party is just as exciting as the actual party. We lucked out again with the weather, park parties are always a toss up. But you had a great time with your pre-school pals.


We went with a pretty simple pink and green theme this year. All you wanted was cupcakes with sprinkles. Done and done. I added in the fruit snacks and goldfish, pretty successful for the pre-school crowd. It wasn't quite as extravagant as your 4th birthday, 3rd birthday,  or your 1st birthday (and I just realized I never blogged your 2nd birthday (which was my fav!) #blogfail. BUT with a 3 month old, this was as good as it gets this year, and you couldn't have cared less. There were cupcakes! and fruit snacks! and juice boxes! WIN.







 You were SUPER excited to wear this outfit, and I am SO thankful the weather allowed it. We got it in the mail from my cousin Karen months ago, and you would remind me about every other day that it was reserved special for your birthday party.



Cupcakes for the win.




It was too windy to actually light the candle, but you didn't care. Remember? There were cupcakes! And fruitsnacks! And juice boxes!



Parker was napping when we left, so Daddy stayed home with her for awhile and they came late. You thought that was better than the presents. Keep that enthusiasm about your sister forever would you?





Funny story. Your party started at 12:30, because that's what time the park had open for reservations. We were so busy that morning we forgot to eat lunch. You and Gracen were SO excited that I told you it was ok because you could have goldfish and fruitsnacks and cupcakes. You did not know what to do with yourselves because you got dessert before lunch. (In my defense, Daddy was working on the kitchen putting up the backsplash, so yes unfortunately the procrastinator in me left the cupcakes until that morning so yes, for one day, you had cupcakes! and fruitsnacks! and juiceboxes! for lunch.)

Happy birthday sweet girl!!! Your love for life is contagious, and your sass is out of this world. I will always encourage your enthusiasm and zest for life. I can't wait to see you grow and learn and if you stick with becoming a dentist :)


Age 1,2,3,4 I can't wait for family pics again in a month!


No comments: