Monday, December 1, 2014

Thankful

Thanksgiving is one of my very favorite holidays. There's just something so special about a holiday centered around giving thanks for all that you have, and the food. Oh the food! and wine! and pie! and did I say wine?

And while my husband may argue I love it for the black Friday shopping, that's just the icing on the proverbial cake.

This year we headed North to Iowa early Thanksgiving morning, and had a pretty smooth ride. We got there just in time to finish the parade - one of the best parts! I loved watching the parade growing up, and it's pretty awesome that I get to share that with my own kiddos.

We spent two days eating, and playing cards, and more eating. I didn't take a single picture (gasp!) but I was too busy, ya know, eating. And yes we did do some black Friday shopping, but let me tell you I was pleasantly surprised by NO crowds. Yep you read that right. In the wee hours of the morning from 5 to about 7 there weren't very many people out. AND we got almost everything we set out to get!

My darling Parker is homebody like here Mama, and in general doesn't like loud noises and chaos. So we decided to head home Friday afternoon to try and catch a good nap in the car and make it home to sleep in our own beds. We headed South around 3:45ish, and everything started out well. Two were napping and one was watching a movie. We made it to Bethany (the halfway point) and stopped for dinner and to feed Miss P. Mistake #1 - should've just gone through the drive through and kept up the good momentum! After eating and making sure everyone used the bathroom, we were back on the road. We had been back in the car for oh about 10 minutes when someone had to go to the bathroom. Of course. So we told her we'd stop at the next exit. We missed the next exit. Awesome. Finally we made it to the next exit (with NO accidents!) and after a 15 minute stop we were back on the road. We were I'd guess about 45 minutes to an hour from home at this point, and hoping everyone would take a quick cat nap the rest of the way.

You probably guessed that didn't happen.

After only 10 minutes in the car Gracen said she thought Parker had a dirty diaper. I didn't smell anything, so we just kept cruising. Well P kept getting fussier, so we decided to stop AGAIN but just change her in the car. Well that plan wasn't going to work. Because girlfriend decided that was a great time to have a blowout. The Mr. kindly volunteered (or maybe I volunteered him...) to bring her in and change her, which let me tell you was no easy task. He didn't want to set anything on the floor (gross), and the loud noises in there were scaring her. And when they finally emerged 20 minutes later, she was naked in the car seat. I ever so nicely (prob not so nicely - luckily he still loves me anyway) reminded him there was a spare outfit in the diaper bag. So back in they went again to get her dressed. When she was finally back in the car she.was.pissed. She screamed bloody murder for at least the next 10 minutes, so I tried to make her some milk, but ain't nobody got time for cold milk. She finally fell asleep about 30 minutes from home. We pulled in our driveway around 9:30. 9 freaking 30. What normally was a 3 hour trip took us over 5 hours. Ah the joys of traveling with a baby.

DESPITE the rough ride home, we still had a wonderful holiday. I am so incredibly thankful for my sweet little family, and feel lucky that I've been trusted to add a 3rd little peanut to my crew this year. We're all healthy and happy, with a roof over our head and food on our table. What more could I ask for?

Hope everyone had a Happy Thanksgiving! Now bring on the Christmas music, decorations, and treats!!



No comments: