Wednesday, August 5, 2015

A mini vacay to Omaha

A few weeks ago we packed up the crew and headed North to Omaha for the weekend. We had a wedding on Saturday, so we decided to go early Friday morning to hit up the famous zoo.

Now maybe I'm not really a zoo person, but I wasn't really impressed. I mean I know compared to the KC Zoo, Omaha is supposed to be the bee's knees, but I was kind of disappointed. Maybe it's because everyone built it up so much? I don't know, I also just don't like seeing the animals in such small areas. There was also a lot of construction while we were there, and no elephants. The elephants are my favorite (next to giraffes). So if you're planning a trip I would recommend waiting until Summer '16 when all the construction is supposed to be done, and maybe you'll think it's super awesome like everyone else keeps telling me.




The butterfly garden was one of my favorite parts. Maybe I've read Fancy Nancy Bonjour Butterfly one too many times... 



I have no idea where they get their sass from.










My other favorite part was the aquarium. It was way better than the KC Aquarium. All 3 of my girls loved it, especially Parker. Although it was pretty much the only time we let her walk around. #oneyearoldproblems






I loved all the big cats. And the bear. Parker loved the snacks. 





Since they didn't have any real elephants, the baby elephant statue was the next best thing. My girls were less than amused with the 'mamarazzi'. I told Gabe to take a pic of me and P in front of the gorgeous flowers, and a nice zoo worker offered to take one of the three of us. Pretty rare for just the three of us!

Overall it was a gorgeous day. It was a little cloudy, but that meant shade. So for a July day, we couldn't have asked for better weather.



Of course we came appropriately armed with snacks, but I did appreciate the irony of eating animal crackers at the zoo.

Saturday was the wedding, and all 3 of my gals were ready to dance. They were not however ready for a photo op. I know most of the time we always post the 'best' of like 20 photos to Insta or FB, so in the spirit of full transparency and realness, enjoy the below 3 gems. 





Parker loved dancing and running around now that she's walking. Still doesn't like people though, so don't try to touch her or pick her up. Or pretty much look at her. ;)



I did manage to get a good one with their cousin though! And strategically cropped out Hadley throwing the deuces again. No idea where she got that from. (Dad).


I am still so incredibly thankful that this babe is so mellow. (Most of the time). She slept like a champ the entire weekend even in the hotel with 2 giggling sisters, and snoring Dadddy. Sunday morning we were up bright and early though, so just me and my littlest peanut had a breakfast date at the hotel restaurant. After a 30 minute walk around the lobby though because apparently no one in Omaha is up before 7 but us (that's when the restaurant opened anyway).



Daddy photobombing like a boss. And now that Parker's on the move, she basically doesn't ever sit still.

The hotel we stayed at had the Coco Key Water Resort attached. These 3 had an absolute blast. Way better than the zoo (sorry zoo). Parker highly enjoyed the lazy river with Mom, while the other 2 enjoyed free rein of everything else. The only downfall though was the big waterslides neither of the big girls were tall enough for - even with a parent. Why's that you ask? I don't know. So that was kind of a bummer. I did get Gracen to go with me on it once though, because generally when you just walk up there like you know what you're doing, the 15 year old life guard isn't going to stop you. Plus Gracen was literally like 1/2 an inch too short. Story of her life.







On Sunday I really really really wanted to go to the Children's Museum. Unfortunately on Sunday's it doesn't open until 1pm (wtf?). So no go. (Insert all the sad/angry/crying emojis and hasthag woeisme). Instead we spent the morning at the pool again, and had lunch at a sandwich place because it was eleventy billion degrees outside. You think I'm joking, I'm not. My glasses fogged up when I walked outside. Parker ate her sandwich in less time than it took me to sit down, and Gracen finished pretty quickly as well so I took the two of them for a little photo sesh with the giant O! down the street from lunch while pokey Hadley finished hers. All that girl was concerned about were the cheetos. Hashtag priorities. 

In my head I just kept singing OOOOOOOOOklahamo. Even though that's wrong. Sorry Omaha!

Overall it was a quick, exhausting, fun weekend. Hard to believe the summer's almost over and back-to-school is consuming my brain. Until next time Omaha! (And next time I WILL make it to the Children's Museum).






No comments: