Monday, September 16, 2013

Mini Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins

This weekend the weather was absolutely gorgeous, and I couldn't help but have a mini baking session. While my personal fav is still zucchini bread, I also made some mini pumpkin chocolate chip muffins!

Source

I am a huge fan of the Skinny Taste blog, which helps me make the things I already love, but try to use better ingredients. So when I saw these mini pumpkin chocolate chip muffins, I jumped at the chance to make them. They were the perfect fall treat! I made them the night before - because well I'm not exactly a morning person. As soon as they came out of the oven, the Mr. ate a couple and could've kept going if I wouldn't have stopped him. The girls each had a bunch for breakfast this morning, and then Hadley and the Mr. ate the rest before I even got home from work. I guess I better just make some more then :) These would be perfect to freeze for later too, if there are any left!

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup white whole wheat flour*
  • 3/4 cups unbleached all purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup raw sugar **
  • 3/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1 3/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 1/2 cups canned pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
  • 2 tbsp virgin coconut oil (or canola)
  • 2 large egg whites
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • baking spray 
  • 2/3 cup mini chocolate chips
Directions:

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a mini muffin tin with paper liners and lightly spray liners with oil for easy removal.

In a medium bowl, combine flours, sugar, baking soda, pumpkin spice, cinnamon, and salt with a wire whisk. Set aside.

In a large bowl mix pumpkin puree, oil, egg whites and vanilla; beat at medium speed until thick. Scrape down sides of the bowl.

Add flour mixture to the wet mixture, then blend at low speed until combined; do not over mix. Fold in chocolate chips.

Pour batter into prepared muffin tin and bake on the center rack for 22 to 24 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

*I just used 1 1/4C of all-purpose flour, because that's what I had - probably lost a healthy point but oh well ;)
**I had never even heard of raw sugar, but again I didn't have this and after some googling, decided it was just fine to use regular sugar




No comments: